Healthy Low Fat Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos topped with a Creamy Guacamole Sauce and Cilantro and Onions.
Let's face it. Taco's are delicious but can add unwanted calories to our diet. If you live in the Southwest or well anywhere in the U.S., tacos are a crowd favorite. What's not to love? Corn or flour tortillas filled with delicious meaty (or vegan) fillings topped with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, etc. You get the picture. Stomach growling now.. right. We all love tacos but the calorie count can quickly add up.
Add ins like sour cream, guacamole, cheese, while these all taste great, they can really add up calories and fat. How can you enjoy your tacos then? Here are some great substitutions you can make without sacrificing flavor.
- Use Chicken breast instead of chicken thighs
- Use oil sprays instead of oil
- Replace flour tortillas with corn tortillas
- Use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Omit cheese toppings and replace with veggies, salsa, tomato, onions, cilantro, etc.
I promise you won't miss the calories or extra fat.
Chipotle Lime Chicken Tacos
1 Lb Chicken Breast (I recommended cutting breast in half and pounding it out to a thinner layer for faster cooking and even spice distribution).
1/4 c onion (minced)
3 garlic cloves (minced)
2 Tbsp chipotle powder
1Tbsp cumin powder
Salt/pepper to taste
Guacamole Cream Sauce
2 Medium Avacados
1/4 C onion
1 8oz container of plain greek yogurt
1 Lime (juiced)
Salt to taste
Cilantro (coarsely chopped)
1. Chop and mince onion, garlic, and cilantro. Prep chicken by butterflying it and pounding it out into a thinner layers. Use a non stick pan and lightly spray with oil spray. Sautee onions until transparent. Add chicken breasts. Spray lightly with oil and add garlic. Add chipotle powder, cumin powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until done all the way through. Before your remove from heat pour the juice of 1-2 limes over the chicken. Pull off heat and allow to rest a few minutes prior to chopping chicken into small pieces.
2. While your chicken is cooking, you can prep the taco shells. I use a non stick griddle but you can also use a non stick pan. Lightly spray and heat corn tortillas flipping to brown each side for about 1-2 minutes per side.
3. Assemble your tacos by adding chicken to your folded corn tortilla. Top with chopped cilantro and minced onion and a dollop of the guacamole cream sauce. You can squeeze additional lime juice lightly over the taco if you prefer.
Guacamole Cream Sauce
I use my Ninja blender to make a fast sauce. Use your food processor or blender and add your avocados, chopped onion, 1 (8 oz) of plain greek yogurt. Blend for a few minutes. Add chopped cilantro and 1-2 jalapeños with the seeds removed. Blend a few more minutes. Once it reaches a creamy consistency, add your lime juice and salt to taste.
These are a healthy alternative to regular tacos. You won't miss the fat but love the flavor.
Like what you see here? Sign up for regular emails with recipes, tips, and other motivation excerpts to stay on track. Be sure to subscribe to our blog and newsletter.